I’m all about easy these days, what with the 4 month old and the potty training 2.5 year old running me ragged. I want easy hair, easy makeup, easy and practical clothes…anything to make this chaos easier.
During one of my nesting phases I pulled out a few T-shirts from the hubbo’s collection of throw-aways that I thought I could turn into something fun and useful for myself.
So, here is one of those upcycle projects that is so easy, you’ll want to go steal all of your hubbo’s shirts and make your own! It’s perfect for working out or hanging out around the house in — and yeah, I totally wore it to the grocery store.
DIY T-Shirt Hack – Easy, No-Sew Upcycle Project
- Large T-Shirt – knit material, preferrably soft and well worn, bonus if it belonged to someone you love
- Scissors – sharp ones or you’ll get hacky
- Feet. You’ll see.
1. Lay your shirt flat on the ground
2. Cut shirt as shown below. It doesn’t have to be perfect, and remember since it is knit, the edges will roll. If you want a deeper plunge at the neck, or longer armholes, make it so!
3. Discard the arms and collar, but save that handy bottom piece!
4. Cut the bottom piece at the seams so you have two strips, and throw one away – you only need one!
5. Flip your shirt over so the backside is on top facing you. Gather the center of the shirt in between those two armholes with your hand.
6. Center the strip you kept from the bottom of the shirt underneath the gathered back of the shirt.
7. This is where your feet come in to play! Wedge those babies at the top of the straps so you can pull on the shirt without it going anywhere, and start to twist the ends of the fabric strip around the gather.
8. Wrap it around and around until you have two short ends left and tie them in a knot (or a bow if you want a bow?). You can choose whether you want it on the outside or the inside.
9. That’s it. Just ssssstreeeeeeetchhh your shirt out in every direction so the edges curl and you’re good to go
The finished product — I’m wearing a black sports bra underneath but I sometimes branch out and wear a hot pink or flourescent yellow one (fashion maven, I am).
Selfies — All about the easy: bun and yoga pants, baby!